This is a short summary only. The full article can be read in German.
The first cancellor of Güstrow was Dr. Wolfgang Ketwig, who became chancellor on January 6 1526. It is not certain where he was from although it is believed that he came from Westphalia. In the book “Seidel’s Bildersammlung verdienter Männer“, Berlin 1751, his picture can be found. According to some historians Ketwig had been doctor and even rector at the University of Padua, Italy. On his return to Germany he became chancellor at the Brandenburg court.
On November 11, 1527 the dukes Heinrich and Albrecht of Meklenburg gave their chancellors Caspar v. Schöneich and Dr. Wolfgang Ketwig parts of the country, namely the estate Ballin, county Stargard and the estate Rosenow in Stavenhagen. These estates were later sold by Bernd and Joachim v. Ketwig, sons, and Wolfgang v. Ketwig, grandson of chancellor Wolfgang v. Ketwig.
In 1529 Ketwig quit his position in Meklenburg and once again became chancellor in Brandenburg. Ketwig died in 1541 and was buried in Berlin, in front of the high altar of the Nicolai church. The monument, which was erected in his honour, was destroyed in 1641 and never restored.
This article was written by Georg Christian Friedrich Lisch and published at Verein für Mecklenburgische Geschichte und Altertumskunde: Jahrbücher des Vereins für Mecklenburgische Geschichte und Altertumskunde. – vol. 26 (1861), pages 11-16. The original can be found at Landesbibliothek Mecklenburg-Vorpommern .