Part of the history of Salem Evangelical Church (Rochester, New York):
The beautiful custom of placing flowers on the altar every Sunday began November 26, 1911. The first flowers were given by Mrs. Minnie Nelson Gerhard, Miss Amelia Kall, and Miss Lena Kettwig. Immediately thereafter Mrs. J. George Kaelber spoke to Miss Kettwig and suggested that flowers be placed on the altar every Sunday. Mrs. Kaelber offered them for the following Sunday, and the donors on the remaining Sundays of the month were: Mrs. Julius C. Hoffman, Mrs. Katharine Loeffler, Miss Emma Hess, and Mrs. Mary Milow. Since that time there has not been a Sunday without flowers on the altar. After accomplishing their purpose in church on Sunday, these flowers have been sent with messages of comfort and cheer to many hundreds of sick, shut-ins and afflicted in homes and hospitals.